Learn Spanish in the Amazon while you enjoy the Jungle
Learn Spanish in the famous Amazon Jungle and return home with a new language and so many incredible stories. We offer TWO unique destinations to fit your budget and preferences.
Discover either La Selva Amazon EcoLodge or Gaia Amazon EcoLodge. Continue reading for information on both destinations.
The Amazon Jungle is the world’s largest and densest rain forest with more diverse plants and animals than any other jungle in the world. The Ecuadorian portion is particularly beautiful, and unlike most other parts of Amazonia, you can swim in the water!
The Amazon’s river, lakes, streams, and marshlands support over 600 species of fish and more than 250 species of amphibians and reptiles. Over 100 species of trees have been discovered per acre and if you are lucky you may see typical South American mammals including armadillos, honey bears, sloths, tapirs, many different types of monkeys, boars, ocelots (jaguars), and in the lagoons, you may see manatees and caymans.
La Selva Amazon EcoLodge – Learn Spanish in Luxury
Join us on one of the most amazing study programs in the Amazon! Spend a week learning Spanish at one of the first Amazon rainforest lodges in Ecuador: the award-winning La Selva. Simon Bolivar’s 1-week Amazon Jungle program combines Spanish lessons with varied guided trips and activities such as hiking, bird watching, observation of local flora and fauna, visits to an indigenous community, among many others.
La Selva Jungle EcoLodge is located in a rainforest paradise in one of the most biodiverse areas of the planet. The resort was completely remodeled and reopened in July of 2012, and has become the premier eco-lodge in the Ecuadorian Amazon.
Overlooking the lake, the newly built central lodge and restaurant is one-of-a-kind. Spot birds and rainforest species as you lounge sipping an exotic cocktail. Dine by candlelight while enjoying exquisite cuisine prepared by our gourmet chef.
The breezy, stylish cabanas are inspired by native bamboo designs. Many have jacuzzis, rainforest showers, and lake views. The sounds of the rainforest soothe you to sleep at night, and the singing of birds awaken you in the morning.
Even though the lodging and level of service offered at La Selva is considerably more luxurious than other lodges in the Ecuadorian Amazon, the price is very competitive, making it an exceptional value.
Our cozy private bungalows are made entirely of secondary growth rainforest materials and designed to blend with the surroundings. Each one has a private bathroom, a hammock and mosquito netting for each bed (although you will be surprised at what little need you will have for this item due to the lack of insects).
There are 12 thatched cabanas of varying sleeping configurations and several public gathering spots, including the spacious dining room with a rooftop lookout point, an open-air combined bar and a lounge with a wrap-around view of the lake.
Our adventure travel and eco-friendly destination has plenty of options for your activities for day and night (night excursions are among the most popular). Kayaking and swimming in the lake lodge’s lake is a popular daytime activity. Fishing is also popular as guests have the opportunity to fish for piranhas!
Our Native Guides and English-Speaking Naturalists will guide you through an extensive trail system filled with wildlife in what many consider the most biologically-diverse lodge in the entire Amazon.
Spanish lessons at the best Amazon lodge in Ecuador- a unique experience.
- Sunday: Leaving Quito at night to arrive at Coca Monday morning (by bus). If you’d rather, you can fly to Coca on Monday morning.
- Monday: Arrive at La Selva Lodge approximately at noon on Monday, after a guided 3-hour canoe trip from Coca.
- Monday-Thursday: Enjoy Spanish lessons and guided activities. You can choose from many unique Amazonian experiences.
- Friday: Leave the lodge and return to Coca in the morning.
These are some examples of what you can do and see during your stay at the lodge:
- WALK TO SILVERIO’S HOUSE: Cross Garzacocha Lake to begin a two and a half to three-hour walk on a rugged trail with some physically challenging parts. Half of the walk takes place in the primary forest and the other half passes by the huts of our indigenous neighbors along the Napo River.
- OBSERVATION TOWER: Climb to the top of our bar and restaurant for incredible views, wildlife observation, and bird watching opportunities. Our newly remodeled observation tower is now ready.
- BUTTERFLY FARM: Available every afternoon and close to the lodge, watch and photograph butterflies at close range. With luck, witness the miracle of metamorphosis.
- PARROT CLAY LICKS: Visit the Yasuni National Park to appreciate a unique site where parrots and parakeets gather to obtain the minerals that will help them to digest the fruits or seeds they have consumed. Option to enter an indigenous community inside the Yasuni Park where other species of parrots and macaws can be seen (additional park entrance fees apply).
- CHAWAMANGO TRAIL: Head east at the Mandiñan trailhead, followed by a 3-4 hour walk back to Garzacocha Lake. Surprises can be found on the way!
- MATAPALO TRAIL: This is an introductory walk perfect for your arrival day. Here you’ll have the chance to appreciate the strange Strangler Fig (Ficus aurea), Azteca Ants (Azteca Trigona), lots of bright and beautiful heliconia plants and the Rubber Tree (Hevea Brasiliensis).
- SACHA HUAGRA TRAIL: Cross Garzacocha Lake, walk through virgin forest to observe the 5 Giant Kapok Trees (Ceiba Pentandra) and the Strangler Fig Tree (Ficus aurea), as well as other plant and animal species that can be seen along the trail; arrive at the lodge for lunch.
- TOUCANERA’S TRAIL: This is a short 2-hour walk around the lodge where you will get a general idea of the tropical rainforest (flora, fauna & microfauna).
- CHARAPA TRAIL: Short trip by foot around the edge of Lake Garzacocha. Return by canoe to the lodge.
- MANDIÑAN TRAIL: Lasts three to four hours depending on the animal sightings that happen along the way. The entire trail is by foot to observe flora and fauna typical of the tropical rainforest.
- PAÑACOCHA: Pañacocha is located between the two largest protected areas in the Amazon, Yasuni National Park, and Cuyabeno Wildlife Reserve. Established in 1994, Pañacocha offers rare exceptional views of 9 different species of primates, 500 species of birds, and 100 different species of fish in the protected waterways, including Lake Pañacocha. Pañacocha also boasts tropical butterflies with endless varieties of colors and patterns. Join one of our local naturalist guides to experience the beauty found within this 140,000 acres protected rainforest. Please note that there is an extra fee for this activity.
- Individual Spanish Lessons: $1400 Superior, Family and Scenic Suites
- 2 Students with 1 Teacher Lessons: $1320 Superior, Family and Scenic Suites
- Group Spanish Lessons: $1200 Superior, Family and Scenic Suites
- All prices based on shared cabin accommodation. Single accommodation is available upon request for an additional charge.
All Packages Include:
- 14 hours of Spanish lessons
- Canoe ride transportation from Coca-EcoLodge and EcoLodge-Coca
- Four nights of luxurious accommodation
- Box lunch on Monday
- All meals at the EcoLodge from Monday’s dinner to Friday’s breakfast
- Guided trips with Bilingual naturalist guide + Native assistant
Prices Do Not Include:
- Transportation to and from Coca (bus or plane)
- Personal expenses & tips
- Alcoholic beverages and sodas
- If you want to travel by plane, the price of the flight is about USD $80 (one way) to Coca. If you prefer to travel by bus, the price is $12 each way; this takes approx. 10 hours from Quito to Coca.
- Credit card (Mastercard, Visa, American Express, or Diners Club International)
- Traveler’s checks
- USD personal checks
- USD cash
- Bank transfer
Gaia Amazon EcoLodge – Learn Spanish in a natural Amazonian environment
Gaia Lodge is a holistic language learning initiative. The Spanish language is taught within the natural and cultural environment of the indigenous communities. You will be able to appreciate the resources, conservation and sustainable use of the Amazon Jungle. The objective is to promote a sustainable balance between indigenous communities, traditional cultural values, and the natural environment.
The primary focus is conservation in an area that is already under so much ecological pressure. We strive to make sustainable use of local natural resources that will improve the living conditions of its inhabitants. Learn Spanish in the Amazon Jungle while trekking in the rainforest, tubing, rafting and day trips to local museums and an animal rescue center. We also arrange visits with local communities- and exploration of the traditional culture, shamanism and medicinal plants.
The guides and staff of Gaia are all residents of the communities surrounding the project, many of them belonging to the Quechuan communities that have lived in the Ecuadorian Amazon for hundreds of years. While we do train teachers in the area, many of our Spanish instructors come from Quito. Become part of building a world without frontiers through the learning of a new language and culture, expanding the consciousness of the importance of conserving the Amazon rain forest for the human welfare, and having a positive and real impact in the local communities!
Our residential facilities overlook the Rio Napo and are surrounded by a forest of cocoa trees. Our view of the forest, the river, and the mountains allow our visitors’ ample opportunity to admire and listen to the nuances of the rainforest, from day tonight. Our strategic location also provides access and mobility to various tourist attractions, as well as cultural and volunteer locations on the river. These locations can be reached by canoe on the river, as well as by bicycle, truck, or even traveling on foot.
Our center was built according to eco-friendly practices and materials, all with the oriented to get green certifications. Although we are committed to maintaining a property built on these principles, we are equipped with facilities and amenities necessary for our students to stay for prolonged observation or study periods, in comfort.
We offer a variety of comfortable cabins ranging from single to shared rooms. All with secure screens for plenty of bug-free ventilation, lighting and private bathrooms with hot water. Social areas include a dining room, reading lounge and relaxation areas with hammocks.
We combine classes with guided trips in the jungle at a very reasonable price. You can join one of our weeklong study programs with up to 20 hours of Spanish lessons as Individual Lessons, Two Students One Teacher, or Small Groups.
- Sunday: Leave Quito in the early morning to arrive into Punta del Ahuano around noon. This is located very near to the town of Tena. A public bus or private shuttle is available and we can help you coordinate your transportation.
- Monday-Thursday: Enjoy up to four hours of Spanish lessons with guided activities in the afternoons.
- Friday: Leave the lodge after lunch to return to Quito
These are some examples of what you can see and do during your stay at the lodge:
- Tubbing in the Rio Napo
- Trekking on the Island of Birds Indigenous community visit, learn first hand about shooting blowguns and making traditional chicha
- Gold panning and artisanal fishing
- Trekking in the Jungle (Selva Viva reserve, primary forest)
- Visit Amazon animal rescue center
Optional activities are offered on the weekend with an extra cost: rafting, kayak, visit waterfalls.
- 20 hours $ 746 per person
- 15 hours $ 672 per person
- 10 hours $ 567 per person
- 15 hours $ 567 per person
- Contact us for group lesson availability
All Packages Include:
- Spanish lessons
- Five nights of accommodation
- All meals during stay
- Guided trips from Monday to Friday
*Shared cabin accommodation. Additional price is charged if single accommodation is requested.
Prices do not include
- Bus transportation to and from Punta del Ahuano (near the town of Tena)
- Personal expenses & Tips
- Alcoholic beverages and sodas
Spanish in Ecuador: Courses & Programs Available
We have lots of possibilities, check out which one is the best for you
Learn Spanish the way you need to
Personalized and tailored lessons to achieve your language goals are the best method for learning Spanish during your time Ecuador.
Learning Spanish is better in couples
Perfect for traveling partners of similar levels, in this class modality the teacher will adapt the course to both students’ expectations.
Learn Spanish with your friends or family
This type of course is amazing for complete beginners students (max 6 per class). The course takes around 4 weeks.
Learn Spanish at home with proven methods
Same methods, teachers and service of the live individual lessons but in our digital online Spanish classes platform.
SIELE & DELE Preparation Center
Get prepared for the Spanish certification
We have all necessary material and experience to guarantee you will have an excellent grade in your SIELE or DELE Exam.